[Tlhingan-hol] {Hov} DIvI' Hol mung

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Dec 4 09:45:26 PST 2015

On 12/4/2015 12:35 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> Okay, the word {maj} does work as a sentence. That’s what it does.
>
> {vIlaDqa’} “I read it again.” Another fine sentence with {‘ej} tying it
> to another single sentence… except…
>
> {pIq jIQaghbe’ jIyepqu’}…
>
> Okay, {pIq} tells us that you are looking to make this a statement about
> the future. It’s a little vague as time stamps go, but hey...
> {jIQaghbe’} is a complete sentence. “I don’t err.” Fine.
>
> But {jIyepqu’} is another complete sentence. “I am very careful.”
>
> So, what’s the relationship between these two final complete sentences?
>
> Maybe you mean to say that your goal is to not make mistakes, and your
> statement is that you will be careful in order to not err. In that case,
> consider the verb suffix {-meH}. The purpose of your being careful is to
> not make mistakes, so {jIQaghbe'} is a good candidate for being marked
> as the purpose of {jIyepqu’}.

On the other hand, Klingon is pretty vague about where one sentence ends
and another begins. This is especially obvious in paq'batlh, which uses
no punctuation at all. I'm pretty willing to take smushed-together
sentences at face value if they mean what they're supposed to mean.

I read {pIq jIQaghbe' jIyepqu'} as "In the future I won't err; I'll be
very careful." qunnoQ could have used punctuation to clarify this, if it
was his meaning.

http://www.trimboli.name/