[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Dec 3 07:42:42 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> I expect to write something in Klingon,because I can take an english
> sentence,break it down to simpler sentences and then apply the
> appropriate grammar.

'a pab Duy' DaghovlaHbe', latlhpu' ghItlhmey DalaDQo'chugh. nIghojmoH
ghomvam ghantoH. ghantoH tIlaj. yIghoj.

If you haven't first learned what "proper Klingon" looks like by
reading it, you're likely to *misapply* grammar. Most people learn
best through example. Embrace the examples here and learn from them.

> What you and other senior members are writing,are
> sentences in a language I haven't learned,sentences containing words
> many of them consisting of a number of suffixes glued together, let
> alone that often the sentences are compound.

qar. taghDI' Hoch'e' rap ghu'.

Yep. That's what EVERYONE started out reading.

> When I try to translate an english sentence,I can break it down so
> that it becomes a simple OVS matter.

'ej rap tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh mughmeH mIw. 'ay'mey yIchev. ngIq mu'
moHaq mojaq ghap yImugh. poH poQ. Hol'e' DaghojlI'. qIgh tIpIHQo'.

Translating Klingon works the same way. Break it down so that it
becomes a simple matter of individual words modified by affixes. It'll
take time. What you're learning here is a *language*. Don't expect
shortcuts.

> As I wrote,you aren't realizing that your grammar isn't
> meant for a beginner to understand.

jIQoch jay'! pabmaj yajlaHbej _tlhIngan mu'ghom_ laDlaHbogh vay''e'.
SIbI' yajchu' 'e' wIpIHbe'. nom yajlaH 'e' wIpIHbe'. chaq SIbI' yajlaH
wa'vatlh nuv, mu'ghom lo'be'taHvIS. chaq nom jatlhtaHvIS chaH nom
yajlaH cha'maH nuv. 'ach vumqangchugh, QInmey DIngeHbogh yajchu'meH
QaplaH 'op SanID, 'e' vInoH.

yIvumqang neH. bIvumnISbej. tlhIngan Hol DalaDmeH bIvumta'Qo'chugh,
not tlhIngan Hol laDwI'vaD bImughlaH.

"Our grammar" is meant to be understood by anybody who can read TKD.
We don't expect a beginner to understand it all at a glance, or to
understand it quickly. There might be a hundred people who can
understand it on sight without benefit of a dictionary. There might be
a dozen or so who can understand spoken Klingon at conversational
speed. But there are probably thousands who can successfully
understand what we say here, if they put forth the effort.

Just be willing to put forth that effort. Yes, it's effort. No, you
can't translate into Klingon with any confidence without first
learning to read it.

> When one starts driving,he isn't expected to understand everything his
> teacher is doing,before he takes the wheel. He learns the basics,then
> starts driving on an empty street with 20 km/h on the right side,and
> gradually he develops his skills.

Huj qechvetlh. SepwIjDaq, puH Duj chaw' HevlaHpa' vay', laH tobnIS.
nIteb tawna'Daq chIj taghwI' net chaw'be', laHDaj 'aghta'be'chugh.
tawDaq ghojmeH, ghojwI' chaw' poQ. ghojwI' chaw' DoQmeH, chut qaD
jeynIS. tawDaq reH ghojwI' tlhejnIS latlh ngoy'.

chaq Hoch'e' yajqu'be', 'ach Hoch HaDqu'ta' net poQbej.

-- ghunchu'wI'