[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 12:14:27 PST 2015

This seems like a classic straw man argument. Why make up three fictional characters when facing the real situation of determining what is appropriate for beginners to translate? And especially, why spend so many words doing it in a public forum?

Klingon doesn’t have much religious terminology (the subject of this thread), and what little it has relates to a Klingon religion revolving around a character more like Paul Bunion than Jesus Christ. He dips a hair into lava and it transforms into a special sword-like weapon with which he kicks ass supreme. Kahless the Unforgettable never asked ANYBODY to turn the other cheek.

Someone writing in asking for us to translate a lot of Christian terms that don’t exist in the language and likely have no parallel in the culture intended as a tool to help a beginner know how to translate something they want to translate is probably barking up the wrong tree.

It really is that simple. It’s not worth arguing about.

Now, could we please get back to talking about the language itself, or, better yet, writing something in the language? That’s supposed to be why this list exists, right?

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv