[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 2 11:27:48 PST 2015

I'd like to address the contention that what I wrote below is too hard
for beginners to read. I grant that it's not "see Dick run," but it's
not really too hard, either. It may take a long time to get everything,
but all of us advanced speakers had to go through that too. Just like
you, I learned Klingon word by word. It's hard work, but it is rewarding.

On 12/2/2015 12:00 PM, SuStel wrote:
 > mughchoHpa' taghwI' laDqu'nISlaH. tetlhvam Hoch ghItlhlu'bogh
 > yIlaD'eghmoHlaH. maHvaD qechlIj'e' tIqon; latlhpu' qech tImughbe'.
 >
 > Qatlh mughmeH Qu' 'ej 'ItlhnIS mughwI'. Qatlhbe' ja'chuqghach.
 > maja'chuqlaHbe'chugh chay' QatlhwI' DamughlaH?
 >
 > ghojmeH ja'chuqghach potlh law' mughmeH jInmol potlh puS.

I'll take this sentence by sentence. I'll put ()'s around subordinate
clauses, []'s around relative clauses, and <>'s around purpose clauses
to set them off. Compound sentences will be split.

1. (mughchoHpa' taghwI') laDqu'nISlaH.

2. tetlhvam [Hoch ghItlhlu'bogh] yIlaD'eghmoHlaH.

3. maHvaD qechlIj'e' tIqon.

4. latlhpu' qech tImughbe'.

5. Qatlh <mughmeH Qu'>.

6. 'ItlhnIS mughwI'.

7. Qatlhbe' ja'chuqghach.

8. (maja'chuqlaHbe'chugh) chay' QatlhwI' DamughlaH?

9. <ghojmeH> ja'chuqghach potlh law' <mughmeH jInmol> potlh puS.

Which of those sentences is particluarly hard for a beginner to
understand? Number two, maybe, because it has an indefinite subject, a
relative clause, and lots of suffixes on the main verb. The others are
all fairly simple. Number nine looks hairy, but it's just a standard
comparative sentence.

Now for the "answers." Don't look at these until you've made an honest
effort to figure out the above.

1. Before a beginner starts to translate, he needs to be able to READ.

2. Make yourself be able to read everything which is written on this
    list.

3. Compose YOUR IDEAS for us.

4. Don't translate others' ideas.

5. Translation is hard.

6. A translator needs to be advanced.

7. Discussion is not difficult.

8. If we cannot confer, how can you translate complex things?

9. To learn, discussion is more important than a translation project.

http://trimboli.name