[Tlhingan-hol] Beginners corner

Elizabeth Lawrence elizabeth.lawrence08 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:55:29 PDT 2015

I'd like to offer an alternative translation for mugh jInID.  While -meH is
a perfectly acceptable way to render it, I would personally tend to use
'e', which is used for a sentence-as-object.  I would say either

jImugh 'e' vInID - I try to translate (lit. I attempt that I translate)

or

vImugh 'e' vInID - I try to translate it (lit. I attempt that I translate
it)

In this case, I might even say

mu'tlheghvam vImugh 'e' vInID - I try to translate this sentence

You will find that you often have to recast your thoughts in order to
translate into Klingon; as Qov said, it is often more useful to say
something that carries the same meaning than to attempt a word-for-word
translation.  There are often multiple ways to do this, and which you
choose to use can sometimes be a matter of preference, or of fine shades of
meaning.

yImughchu'

be''etlh