[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wej

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Apr 7 12:30:26 PDT 2015

Am 07.04.2015 um 20:42 schrieb SuStel:
> So who knows? Maybe {wej} "not yet" really is pronounced {weej}. Or
> maybe not. That's the trouble with having only fictional native
> speakers. However, the phenomenon is quite real, however it may
> manifest. We just can't examine it.

I agree completely. As for wej, it is of course always context related:

- 'ar Dalegh?
- wej vIlegh.

vs.
- Dalegh'a'?
- ghobe', wej vIlegh.

And even without context, the scene in Star Trek 3 for instance makes
clear that {wej... wej...} can not mean "three... three..".
(Okay, that's context related again)

I think it's no problem at all to add some intonation and stress to make
clear that you're not counting. I may make a difference like this

{[wej SuvwI'pu'] vIlegh}.
"I see ... [three warriors]"

vs.

{wej... SuvwI'pu' vIlegh}
"I see the warriors... not yet."

It cannot be expressed when written though.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh