[Tlhingan-hol] "Knitting" in Klingon

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Oct 29 08:48:07 PDT 2014

If so, I know some Pagan friends who worship the Fates Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos who will be elated at the news that they can name their favourite deities {San nIqwI'pu'}.

I'd be careful with using the the word in the same figurative senses as in English. However, in mythology, the Fates *literally* weave threads of destiny, so I think {San nIqwI'pu'} should be fine.

I am also curious as to what it is one weaves. I'm assuming it is the threads/strands/filaments themselves, rather than the finished work?
In that case, I might say:

{yIvbeH vIchenmoHmeH SIrghmey vInIq.}
= "I weave threads to make a tunic."

or simply {yIvbeH vIchenmoHmeH jInIq.}, but not {yIvbeH vInIq.}, which I'd interpret as "I bind tunics together", perhaps to make a rope so I can escape from the evil king's tower.

It might also be a good word to use to describe braiding hair, or perhaps making wreaths.

Regarding the Fates:

In paq'batlh (paq'raD, Canto 23, Stanza 15), deciding somebody's fate is described using {chenmoH}:

ngIq tonSaw' lo'
SaD law' San chenmoH qeylIS
wej boghbogh nuvpu' San chenmoH

In one single move,
Kahless decided the fate
Of thousands, and those to come.

(Of course, it's important to note that paq'batlh is intended as a work of poetry. Still, it seems a sensible choice of words.)