[Tlhingan-hol] "Knitting" in Klingon

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 19:38:59 PDT 2014

On 29 Jun 2013 02:13, "ghunchu'wI'" <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:57 AM, "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I recently came across someone using *{vaDmuv} as a verb meaning "to
knit" (e.g., a sweater) on Twitter. [...]
> I tracked the origin to the now defunct tweetinklingon.com web site,
which was part of the promotions for the Star Trek Online game. It saved
the original English for each mock-Klingon tweet so readers could
"translate" what was sent. Those records are no longer available, but based
on other samples of its output I am pretty sure that "tlhIngan mu' vaDmuv"
came from "Klingon word for join", with the English input being "Anybody
know the Klingon word for join, knitting or knitter?"

This story about knitting came up on Facebook recently, and I drew Marc
Okrand's attention to it. Here's what he had to say:
<Maltz isn't on FaceBook, but I talked with him about it.

He said he does not knit and, in fact, wasn't quite sure what knitting
was.  I explained.  He said there is a word perhaps best translated as
"weave" and that he has heard of using sticks when doing a certain kind of
weaving, but he didn't know a name for that other than weaving.  (There are
apparently other types of weaving also.)

The word for "weave" (verb) is {*nIq*}.

For the sticks used when doing whatever this weaving technique is, he's
only heard {*Hut'Inmey** tIq*}.

Hope this helps.>