[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: loH

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:34:47 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Brad Wilson <bmacliam at aol.com> wrote:

>  <loHwI'> is understood to be a magistrate, which in my understanding is akin to a judge. The word magistrate comes from the Latin magistratus (administrator), which seems closer to the meaning of the both <loH> (administer) and <loH> (administration).
>
> I had some vague sense that a magistrate is more than a judge, so I went
to wikipedia looking for answers:

    "[...] in ancient Rome, a magistratus was one of the highest government
officers and possessed *both judicial and executive powers*." (Emphasis
added)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magistrate

A somewhat related verb is <noH> (judge, estimate), from which we
might derive <noHwI'> (a judge), but certainly a magistrate
"administers" justice, so this might point to a distinction between
<loHwI'> and <noHwI'>.

> bo'DIjDaq loHwI' tu'lu', 'ej chaq Olympics-Daq noHwI' tu'lu'.

bI'reng