[Tlhingan-hol] Maltz about "The Klingon Art of War"

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Nov 17 10:59:36 PST 2014

> 17 nov 2014 kl. 19:36 skrev Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>:
>
> bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj
>  May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK

Excellent point!

This particular phrase has some ritual significance, I believe. And perhaps it was written before Marc had decided that naj should take an object, and this was a good way to phrase "in your dreams".

Still, I'm curious if Klingons would interpret the literal meaning of <bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj.> different from the literal meaning of <qeylIS Daghom 'e' Danajjaj.>
Does the former perhaps indicate that the meeting is real, while the other might just be a figment of the imagination?

I once had a dream where I found Jesus (like, literally; I had a map and a compass), and I've had dreams where I've met celebrities, or people who had passed away. However, I'm not under the impression that I've actually *met* any of these people; I've only dreamt about them.

However, there are people who do believe that dreams - or at least some dreams - are spiritual journeys, and that you can in fact encounter other spirits in your dreams.
Many (most?) Klingons do believe in spirits, and KGT (p.117) states plainly that "Spirits do speak."

So, perhaps it's not too far-fetched to imagine that when Klingons say <bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj.>, they mean that in a very real sense.