[Tlhingan-hol] Maltz about "The Klingon Art of War"

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Nov 17 05:05:11 PST 2014

Maybe you have overseen one important syllable, thisi not about spacing: The book is using the word {vo'ruv'etlh}, which looks like a bad translation for "sword OF justice", mistaking the suffix {-vo'} as "of, from". A literal correct translation for "sword of justice" is {ruv 'etlh}.

Oh yeah, I got that. I just figured it was worth discussing why «ruv'etlh» made the most sense to him, rather than «ruv 'etlh».

Since the word is printed in the AOW (KAW? TKAW?), Okrand probably avoided to say that it's a mistake because that might not be fair for the author.

Yeah, I think Marc likes to be forgiving with these things, out of respect for other people's work. However, he might not have wanted to validate it explicitly, since this is a pretty obvious mistake based on English grammar.

(Though if one did wish to retcon it, one could say that *vo'ruv* is an old form of the word «ruv», and that it has nothing to do with the suffix -vo'.)