[Tlhingan-hol] Words from "The Klingon Art of War"

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 03:28:19 PST 2014

Space, the final frontier... between words :-)

I talked to Okrand about this specific topic and he said that Klingon
was primarily planned as a spoken language. So when speaking, you won't
hear that space anyway, so he never really thought very intensely about
using spaces or not, or if that would make any difference at all - or
may cause grammatical problems.

For the words of "The Klingon Art of War":

I gave the words to Okrand from the book as they are written there --
{ngeng_roQ} and {qo'Sor} -- and I got them back from Okrand with new
spacing, i.e. {ngengroQ} and {qo'_Sor}.

So it's definitely no typo, unless Okrand did the typo by accident,
which I doubt, since he sent back an edited file I had sent him before.

He did not say anything about that, but I believe that Okrand's
intention was to make the difference between the noun-noun construction
"Tree of gods" vs. "seacreature", being a compund noun, and not some
general "creature of the sea".

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh