[Tlhingan-hol] tlhoy'

lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:10:29 PDT 2014

For what it's worth, the Air Force also uses the terms "bulkhead" and "hatch" to refer to barriers between pressurized and unpressurized compartments. I think it's quite common to use the term "hatch" to refer to the sealable passage through a bulkhead, which protects you from water or vacuum or poisonous gas, or whatever your side of the bulkhead protects you from. I'm pretty sure they used the same terms at the paper plant my step-father worked in, referring to the barrier between the inside and outside of the chlorine tank for bleaching paper. The hatch was for maintenance crews to go in through, after the chlorine had been vented (though three were injured when the hatch was opened while the chamber was full of chlorine gas).

I'd never heard that the Marines expand the use of the terms to such an odd extreme.