[Tlhingan-hol] Certification Test Woes

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 16:32:24 PDT 2014

I've been teaching Irish for many years, and we have a similar graded approach to Irish certification, but it's more conversation than reading/writing.
I suspect that most Klingon learners are better at reading/writing than listening/speaking (or maybe I'm just reflecting my own experience). Perhaps having a parallel to (or subset of) the KLCP that focused on listening comprehension and speaking. This should be somewhat "immune" to the notion of cheating.

I do like the idea of acknowledging students' progress without necessarily subjecting them to an "official" exam.
Assigning questions randomly from a large test bank may ensure that over many tests, there is a balance of high & low-value questions, but it doesn't prevent any one test from being overly skewed, which isn't really fair to that particular student. Can the questions be "weighted" so that in choosing them, the test still retains a difficulty consistent with the objective?

gheyIl