[Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 1

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 19:34:15 PDT 2014

http://www.startrek.com/watch_video/klingon-fable-the-legend-of-gorath

STAR TREK –Fables and Folklore
STAR TREK – lutmey wIchmey je

The YoungHunter – A Klingon Folktale
wamwI´ Qup – tlhIngan wIch lut

Qo´NoS … manyyears ago
Qo´noS … ben law´

Grandfather: Be still. He isnearby.
vavnI´: yIvIHQo'. Sum.

Boy: Where? I don´tsee…
loDHom: nuqDaq? vIleghbe´…

Grandfather: Be silent. Waitfor it, puq.
Grandfather: He smells you.Be swift.
Grandfather: He is going to ground. Quickly.
Grandfather: Well?

vavnI´: yItam. yIloS puq.
vavnI´: Dulargh. nom yIHIv.
vavnI´: wutlhDaq Haw´. nom.
vavnI´: toH.

Boy: He´s… He wentin there.
loDHom: ´oH… DISvetlh ´el.

Grandfather: Then you mustfollow if we want to eat tonight. Unless you prefer the taste of fear.
vavnI´: DaHjaj ram maSop wIneHchugh bItlha´nIS. chaq nuch SoH ´e´ DamaS.

Boy: I fear nothing.
loDHom: pagh vIbamvIpbe´. [[vay´ vIbamvIpbe´]] {1}

Grandfather: Then follow.
[they enter thecave]
Grandfather: He´s cornered,so beware. He knows death is close … his … or yours.
[sounds ofstruggle]

vavnI´: vaj yItlha´.
[DIS ´el chaH]
vavnI´: Davonta´. vajyIyep. Sum Hegh ´e´ Sov … HeghDaj … HeghlIj ghap.
[vIqwabmey]

[sitting by thefire, boy relates his targh battle]
Boy: …and then heattacked. The targh leapt through the air, going for my throat. I stood proudlike a warrior. My spear extended as if I was Kahless himself.
[qulDaq ba´taHvIS targh vay ja´ puqloD]
loDHom: …ngugh muHIv. Sup targh. HughwIjDaq Qeq. jIQamtaHvIS SuvwI´ Hem vIrur. QInwIj vIghuSDI´ qeylIS vIrurbej.

Grandfather: Ha, youtrembled like a boy.
vavnI´: wejpuH. puq Qup DaDavIp.

Boy: I saw himcoming. I held the spear where I knew he would fall.
loDHom: mughoS ´e´ vItu´. jIlol ´ej DaqDaq lulaw´ ´e´ QIn vIleH.

Grandfather: A lucky thrust.A little more left, he would have ripped out your shoulder.
vavnI´: Do´ bIghoS. poSDaq jInechpu´chugh vaj volchaHlIj QIHbejpu´. {2}

Boy: Once wounded,I drew my meqleH…
loDHom: vIQIDDI´ metleHwIj vI´uch…

Grandfather: …my meqleH…
vavnI´: …meqleHna´wIj…

Boy: …and slew thebeast so fast he was dead before he knew he was wounded.
loDHom: …´ej nom targh´a´ vIHoHta´. Heghpu´ QIDlu´pu´ ´e´ tlhojpa´.

Grandfather: You flailedabout so long it´s a wonder he didn´t eat you alive.
vavnI´: bIghobtaHvIS bIghIHchu´. bIyIntaHvIS DuSopbe´ ´e´ vISIv.

Boy: Butgrandfather, it´s my first kill.
loDHom: vavnI´ HoHwIj wa´DIch ´oH.

Grandfather: Neverexaggerate your glory. Have you not heard the story of Gorath?
vavnI´: not ta´meylIj yIlachQo´. ghoratlh lut vIQoybe´´a´? {3}

Boy: I…no.
loDHom: jI…ghobe´.

Grandfather:Thensit and listen.
vavnI´: vaj yIba´ ´ejyI´Ij.

>> Here ends Part 1 <<

My notes:
{1} I struggled with "I fear nothing"
{2} It there an accepted way to show a conditional mood? ie. I would have done A if B had occured.
{3} I translated the name Gorath as {ghoratlh} throughout.

Part 2 is be the beginning of Grandfather's narration of the tale.

mu'tlheghmeywIj boDub 'e' vIlaj. Satlho'
gheyIl