[Tlhingan-hol] lung

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 14:20:24 PDT 2014

Correct. But as with some bird names we have, {-'a'} might refer to a
larger species here or perhaps one with much more prominent features, as
you say. So {ghargh'a'} can indeed refer to a very large/prominent worm or
snake species. But not simply any large species. I don't know how the
snakey dragons you mentioned look like, perhaps with claws and legs and
maybe even wings, {lung} might be a better term. If they look like really
huge snakes, more or less (those sandworms from Dune or Star Wars come to
mind), {ghargh'a'} might indeed be suitable. But that word could be
suitable for boas and anacondas too. It depends on where you draw the
arbitrary line between N and N-'a'. After all, it's just a suggestion.
Interpretation depends on the speaker. After all, the meaning we got from
Okrand is "serpent, worm". We don't know how big Klingon gharghmey can be.
So my interpretation is as good as yours, I'd say. And apparently the
person who translated ghIlghameS (I have the book at home but not here)
also interpreted the word in this way.