[Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 13:16:58 PDT 2014

If I ask, "Which door do you choose?", it's still simple {lojmIt 'arDIch DawIv?}
You answer "I choose the third door." {lojmIt wejDIch vIwIv.}

<<<
If {'arDIch} really means "which" in the sense of "one of a choice of options", then I could answer with {lojmItvatlh vIwIv} (pointing to my selection) or {lojmIt SuD vIwIv} and not use {-DIch} at all.
The question I was asking earlier:

Is there are requirement that if the question uses {'arDIch} that the answer must use {number-DIch}?
It would seem that {-DIch} is a "sequential" marker that identifies its headword
either by appearance to the speaker, or importance, or by some other criterion.
<<<
All uses of {-DIch} that I'm aware of seem to be that of "ordinalizing" a number, i.e. ordering either in space or time.
In English, the word "which" can have an ordinal sense to it:
... "the position in a sequence of doors in front of me" or "the appearance of doors over time (say, walking down a hall)".
But "which" can also mean "a choice from a selection without regard to order".
My question is, without further clarification from MO, can we say that {'arDIch} also has this broader meaning of "one of a choice, order notwithstanding"?
gheyIl