[Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 19:11:41 PDT 2014

>>> ghItlh Steven Boozer:
If I ask, "Which door do you choose?", it's still simple {lojmIt 'arDIch DawIv?}
You answer "I choose the third door." {lojmIt wejDIch vIwIv.}

There doesn't seem to be a way to ask the question that is answered by {lojmIt wej vIwIv}. "I choose door #3."

Is there are requirement that if the question uses {'arDIch} that the answer must use {number-DIch}?
It would seem that {-DIch} is a "sequential" marker that identifies its headword either by appearance to the speaker, or importance, or by some other criterion.
To elicit a response of {lojmIt wej vIwIv}, a question of the form {lojmIt DawIv 'e' yIngu'} would be in order (which isn't a question at all).
gheyIl