[Tlhingan-hol] Translating some (GPS-like) phrases

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jun 16 06:57:58 PDT 2014

On 6/16/2014 1:48 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:
> From: Russ Perry Jr. [mailto:russperryjr at sbcglobal.net]
>> 1) "Please make a course correction."
>>
>> 2) "Please Make a Right Turn"
>>
>> 3) "Recalculating"
>>
>> I did tell him Klingon devices, much like Klingons, would likely
>> not use "please", but anyone have any suggestions?
>
> You're right about Please. Klingons just give commands. We don't
> know the idiomatic way to say "turn right" in Klingon, but here is
> the way I would do it.
>
> 1. He yIchoHmoH. =  Change course.  (we know this one for sure)
>
> 2. nIHDaq yItlhe'. = Turn to the right side.
>
> 3. SImqa'lI' = In the process of calculating again.

For these, consider using clipped Klingon. Command and comments like
these would often be clipped.

1. He choHmoH

2. nIHDaq tlhe'

3. SImqa'lI'

Additional thoughts:

2. Since there seems to be some separation between the ideas of going
"to" a place and being "at" a place, I might render this as {nIH
yIghoSchoH} "start going to the right!" or, clipped, {nIH ghoSchoH}.

http://www.trimboli.name/