[Tlhingan-hol] Objects with -moH

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 20:41:02 PDT 2014

My opinion on {meQ}. While canon may seem to contradict itself regarding {meQ} and {meQmoH}, I see it differently.
Something can be on fire - perhaps it is made of combustible matter - this is clearly {meQ}
"Causing something to burn", ie. to enter a state of {meQ}, is clearly {meQmoH}, perhaps by soaking it with fuel prior to lighting it. Then it continues to burn, whether the actor is still around or not. (It could be argued that {meQchoH} might apply here also.)
However, there is canon to support {meQ} as transitive without {-moH}. I don't have a problem with this. If I am burning something which does not have the inherent property to burn on its own, I would use {meQ}. I need to continue my action in order for the object to continue to burn - if I stop, then it stops burning.
Your thoughts?
gheyIl