[Tlhingan-hol] Objects with -moH

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 20:27:08 PDT 2014

I feel you're doing a good job thinking this through. My 2 cents would be to not underestimate the students.
They will understand that verbs like {Qong} can only take a subject (either by prefix or following noun). And even if Klingon allowed {vIQong} (which I find hard to comprehend), I can't imagine any new student even conceiving of that.
However, there will be questions regarding verbs which can gloss into both transitive and instransitive in English. It needs to made clear that {meQ} and others like it refer to that which is on fire, and {meQmoH} is the action to set something on fire (if that is our ultimate interpretation, canon notwithstanding).
My experience has been that once a student learns a basic concept, his imagination takes over and applies his own language rules to the new concept. Regarding the prefix trick, I feel that question will come up rather quickly because it's a natural extension of the English usage.
gheyIl