[Tlhingan-hol] Too short

lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 05:45:43 PDT 2014

Actually, the "SO" seems awkward in Klingon, to my ear. The problem is that {HoS, val, vaQ, Duj Doj ra'} works nicely as parallel grammatical constructions, listing good things about the captain, but to put {-mo'} on only one of them really feels wrong. It feels like encoded English instead of translated Klingon.

My suggestion would be:

3. tlha'a HoD vIHo': HoSmo', 'ej valmo', 'ej vaQmo' 'ej Duj Doj ra'mo' vIqIH vIneH.

I don't see where {vaj} adds anything to the sentence, and I don't think the {-mo'} can be added to the last verb and not the others, if you mean what I think you mean. Each of these traits of the captain are causes of your wanting to meet him. I also think you need {'ej} between each of the verbs. We have no canon that I know of where commas can replace {'ej} for all but the last item of a list of verbs. That's a very English construction that I haven't noticed show up in parallel for Klingon.

I can be wrong, and I hope I don't cause any big argument here. I'm just sharing what I honestly think is better formed Klingon grammar.