[Tlhingan-hol] -ing vs. -er

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Jan 28 08:28:38 PST 2014

Lots of examples from EuroTalk Talk Now! Learn Klingon:

DIr QanwI' taS - suntan oil
QaDmoHwI' DIr - towel
mIllogh qonwI' qoSta' – photographic film (makes sense, because you can interpret it as "camera film")
Ho'Du' Say'moHwI' tlhagh - toothpaste (even though a toothbrush is called a Ho' teywI')
Say'moHwI' tlhagh - soap

One migh argue that a jungle gym would be a {toSwI' qal'aq} rather than a {toSmeH qa'laq} because it doesn't really help you climb. That is, if you need to climb from point A to point B, you wouldn't build a jungle gym to do it; it's a {mI'meH jan}, not a {ghoSmeH jan}.

Compare that to the structures that painters and builders set up to do work on a building's exterior. Perhaps one of those would be a {toSmeH qal'aq}?