[Tlhingan-hol] -ing vs. -er

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Jan 28 07:44:11 PST 2014

Am 28.01.2014 16:28, schrieb Steven Boozer:
 >    qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
>    Inner Support Stabilizer (KBoP)
>    [i.e. those ceiling supports flanking the captain's chair on a
>     BoP that look like large shock absorbers]

When I got the word for jungle gym, I noticed some interesting detail:
Marc Okrand very often translates words in the pattern "x-ing device"
with {x-wI' Doch}, although many times I would have thought it could be
{x-meH Doch}.

It's not a {QutlhmeH ngaDmoHwI'}, but  a {QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'}.
It's not a {toSmeH qal'aq}, but a {toSwI' qal'aq}.

Do you have more examples of this kind?

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh