[Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Jan 27 09:13:02 PST 2014

Am 27.01.2014 16:28, schrieb Rohan Fenwick:
>  > polygon - mey’
>
> Further to what Voragh says about {meyrI'}, I wonder if there might also
> be an etymological connection with the plural suffix {-mey}.

My First thought was that it's a typo, because we had {meyrI'} already.
I didn't ask Okrand for that when he gave us that word, but he clearly
said that the plural of course is {mey'mey}.

>  > three-sided base - qu’vu’
>
> As Voragh has just pointed out (beat me to it!), Khufu was the
> 4th-Dynasty Egyptian pharaoh for whom the Great Pyramid at Giza in Egypt
> served as the tomb.

But - one should also keep in mind that Chufu's pyramid is four-sided,
not three-sided.

> Also, for those not aware, a pyramid having a
> three-sided base (and consequently having all four sides forming
> triangles) has the special name of "tetrahedron".

To be nitpicking, this is only the case when ALL of the sides are equal,
that is, all surfaces of it are a {ra'Duch tIQ}.

If the base of the pyramid is a {vayya'}, it's a {vayya' 'Impey}, but
not a tetrahedron.

> Hah! I like this one. It's from the most famous cube of all, Rubik's
> Cube, but - appropriately - scrambled (buq'Ir > ru'bIq).

That one is cool - didn't see it.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh