[Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 07:28:21 PST 2014

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> I received an email from Dr. Okrand this morning, which contained a
> list of vocabulary.

maj! Some useful words in amongst these for architects, builders, geometers. Some clear puns in amongst them too :)

> polygon - mey’

Further to what Voragh says about {meyrI'}, I wonder if there might also be an etymological connection with the plural suffix {-mey}.

>     rectangle - letbaQ

Possible pun: "Let[ter]box"?

>   three-sided base - qu’vu’

As Voragh has just pointed out (beat me to it!), Khufu was the 4th-Dynasty Egyptian pharaoh for whom the Great Pyramid at Giza in Egypt served as the tomb. Also, for those not aware, a pyramid having a three-sided base (and consequently having all four sides forming triangles) has the special name of "tetrahedron".

> cube - buq’Ir

Hah! I like this one. It's from the most famous cube of all, Rubik's Cube, but - appropriately - scrambled (buq'Ir > ru'bIq).

QeS