[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Say'qu'moH

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Jan 15 01:29:16 PST 2014

I believe what De'vID is suggesting that {lo'laH} could not have become itsown stem by that route, since that route wasn't open before it was a verb stem.

That being said, it's worth noting that we don't know for how long the current suffix order has been in place; there was a time when {ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj} was a valid sentence.
Also, it could be that {lo'laH} became its own verb stem *because* it was abused in the way Ruben suggests; people were saying {lo'laHlu'}, and the only way to reconcile this with Klingon grammar was to consider {lo'laH} its own verb stem.

Of course, there are many other possibilities. Perhaps {lo'} once had a meaning similar to {Qap} or {lI'}, with little distinction between the ability to use and the ability to be used; utility and resourcefulness are both possible measures of function.
We were discussing a similar example on the Conlangs group on Facebook, yesterday: The noun "ward" is most commonly used to mean "somebody/something to be guarded", but an older use of the word also has it as "somebody/something that guards".

Or, perhaps words like {vIlo'laHbe'bogh} were used so often that people started dropping affixes and using the word as an adjective. Perhaps it could even be derived from Clipped Klingon?