[Tlhingan-hol] "Klingon" in parody of Coke commercial

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 09:30:59 PST 2014

De'vID:
>> Apparently, it was supposed to be "for purple mountain majesties".
>> Bing returns *{Doq 'ej SuD HuD ghItlhvetlh} but where did *{vtlhu vo'}
>> come from?

loghaD:
> Apparently, the initial translation came from Bing, but the singer didn't know
> how to pronounce them, so the subtitler then made up new subtitles to match
>the singing.

Quvar:
> In the beginning I was excited that bing decided to launch a klingon
> translator. But now, I am more and more unhappy about it, because too many
> people forget that it is not perfect and have started to spread bad klingon
> all over the web, instead of asking those who can do it correctly. :-(

It seems the creators of that video were actually interested in doing
it properly, since when I pointed out their errors, they wanted to
learn what the correct translation would be:
https://twitter.com/Shoehornmen/status/431151609134190593

I think the issue is more that we (people who can correctly translate
English into Klingon) aren't very discoverable, whereas it's easy to
find Bing. Bing is the first result on Google for "Klingon
translation". :-)  (Just be thankful it isn't Mr. Klingon any more.)