[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tul

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 7 06:50:24 PST 2014

When it comes to the prefixes, I remember {wI-} by thinking of – well - “we” or a brief bit of canon:

   nIn 'ar wIghaj?
   How much fuel do we have (left)?  TKD/PK

I always remember {pI-} by recalling the line from CK when the Klingon hotelier tells the arriving Terran tourist:  {pIpIH} “We're expecting you.”  (Plus, you learn the verb {pIH} “expect” and that it’s transitive.)

Another way is to remember something that contrasts two similar prefixes:

  pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
   Glory to you and your house. KGT
  (lit. "We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly")

  'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq
   We will talk after dinner. PK

--
Voragh