[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tul

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 08:15:13 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Bellerophon, modeler
<bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any canon use aside from the three sentences in TKW that all end "tul Hoch
> tlhIngan?"
> nuq tul 'op tlhIngan 'e' vISIv.

I think you were going for "I wonder what some Klingons hope?" But I
would parse your question as "What do I wonder some Klingons hope?"
That is, there is some specific thing you're wondering that some
Klingons hope, and you're asking us what (we think) it is, as if it
were some kind of guessing game.

{nuq} is a question word that plugs into a sentence where you'd expect
your answer to be. I doesn't really work for "I wonder what...", since
that's not really a question. If a Klingon were really wondering what
some Klingons hope, he'd just ask, {nuq tul 'op tlhIngan?}