[Tlhingan-hol] how to show entries without canon English definitions in word lists?

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:16:05 PST 2014

I do something very similar to Voragh. I keep my dictionary in LexiquePro
which is searchable in both directions (plus part of speech and even a
possible search from the end, which is useful for finding rhymes or words
with suffixes!). Okrandian definitions and also direct translations from
English glosses I just put in as "official" definitions, but unclear
translations or synonyms I put there myself I mark with an asterisk after
them. So for the entry {mach} I have the following gloss:

small, be; little, be*

One might perhaps argue that there is a difference between "small" and
"little" in English, but when looking up words, it's very handy to find
them in the dictionary even if I don't know the exact English word Marc was
using as the gloss. But I always mark them. Here are some more examples
(the real entries contain more data, e.g. source, part of speech, example
sentences, notes on usage, notes on grammar, sometimes pictures...

{mab} (n.) = treaty; contract*
{Sung} (n.) = native; inhabitant*; citizen*; local*; people*; person*
{jentu'} (n.) = bird, type of; penguin*
{lughbe'} (vi.) = wrong, be; incorrect, be*; mistaken, be*

Of course, a treaty isn't the same as a contract. But at least I will find
this word as a near-synonym when I want to talk about a contract. I found
this very handy. Sometimes looking for an English word several options show
up. I then can compare their canonical glosses and find the most suitable
hit. My entry for {rop'a'} only contained plague, but I just added
epidemic* as a possible non-canon translation, when I read Voragh's
addition.

For words completely without canonical definitions, all the glosses have
asterisks, e.g.:

{'aplo'} (n.) = container*; box*; case*; enclosure*
{qoSta'} (n.) = strip*; tape*; band*

- André