[Tlhingan-hol] keeping "KLI folklore" words in word lists

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Dec 17 01:27:42 PST 2014

Short answer:
Why so complicated, making types of canon?
If it comes from Okrand, then include it in your list.

Longer answer:

When you start to separate Star Trek klingon from other klingon, you'll
open a very difficult mission:

If you refuse to take words that are not from Star Trek, then why accept
words from the TalkNow software? {jungwoq} and {Se'tu} has never been
mentioned on screen.

Am 16.12.2014 um 23:48 schrieb De'vID:
 > To be more specific, I don't see a need to have an entry for {Qa'taq}
 > "K'Ratak", a name which KRADeC made up,

And how do you know it's from Star Trek anyway? Here's your first
mistake: K'ratak was NOT invented by DeCandido, the name has been
mentioned in a TNG episode. Also the book he had written, mentioned by
DeCandido, {qul naj} "dream of fire", though not said in klingon.

> "Wa'joh'a', the first Klingon god", because it isn't Star Trek canon,

It's not star trek canon either that klingons have six days in a week,
or used to count til three, but we accept it anyway, because we have a
different sort of "canon": Marc Okrand.

> annotation. I've also added {jInjoq}, {qorvIt}, and other nouns,
> annotated as extended canon.

I disagree. Okrand has vetted them, so it belongs to the
"Okrand-words-list".

> I guess I don't see DeCandido's words as entirely proper because he made
> up a lot of nonsense in his book (like {chenmoH} for a martial arts
> "form").

Of coursse, but in this case, Okrand did NOT vet them, because he had no
answer to them, nor did he want to say "this is okay."
So... again ... not okrand - not canon. Keep it simple.

> "Okrandian blessing of extended canon" vs. "Okrandian canon compatible
> with Star Trek canon".

I see no sense in this, because then you also need to mark any of the
new words like {'Internet}, {DaSjaj}, and {weQmoQnaQ}.

> I don't have a problem with marking KRADeC's
> words which were retroactively blessed by Okrand to be canon, if that's
> how others think of them.

My problem is that when I look at boQwI', and there's a question mark at
the word, I'm not sure if Okrand vetted this word or not, whether it is
canon or not, Okrand-canon.

Okrand is like a filter to me: everything that has passed his mind is
klingon worth learning.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh