[Tlhingan-hol] Bottle Opening and Drinking, al-Amarjan Style

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 10:09:10 PDT 2014

I'm curious. After reading all of this, I'm tempted to think that {qung} is a hole in an object that is used for something, like filling a bottle or buttoning a shirt. {QemjIj} appears to be a shape that stands apart.

You cover a hole on a flute with your finger, or cork the hole on a bottle, or cover a buttonhole with a button, but you fill a hole in the ground with dirt.

So, I'm leaning toward Lieven's interpretation. A hole in the ground is not an opening to something else. It is a feature unto itself. To see a hole in the ground is to understand the whole of the hole. You can't understand the opening to a bottle or of a cave without understanding the bottle or the cave. A hole in the ground is not part of the ground the way that the opening of a bottle is part of the bottle.

Just a suspicion, anyway...

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv

Sent from my iPad