[Tlhingan-hol] Bottle Opening and Drinking, al-Amarjan Style

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Aug 20 08:59:57 PDT 2014

jaj 20.08.2014 16:44, ghItlh SuStel:

 > The distinction seems to be that one side of a {QemjIq} does not have
an outlet, while a {qung} is a penetration in a barrier between one side
and another.

jaj 20.08.2014 17:27, ghItlh Steven Boozer:
 > So {qung} seems to focus on an opening *through something* while
{QemjIq} focuses on an opening *into something (with a bottom)*, e.g.
bottle, hole/pit in the ground, tree hollow, vat/keg, bowls, etc.

I would not count a bottle or vat into this. I believe SuStel's
description is better. The opening of a bottle is technically spoken no
difference to any hole in its surrounding surface.

If you have a hole in the ground, but there is a huge cave below, then
that hole is a {qung} which you use to enter the cave. Even tough you
may be able to "fill" that cave.

I wouldnt say a {QemjIq} is an opening "into" something. It's more like
the "lack of" a perfect surface. When you take a spoon of pudding, you
have created a {QemjIq}. The skin of the pudding (you know, that dry
milk that some people do not like) is penetrated in that case, and will
have a {qung}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh