[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghIpDIj

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:26:45 PDT 2014

{lo’laH} is actually a root verb, not a verb and a suffix. It is distinct from {lo’}. It may LOOK like a verb and a suffix, but it’s not. Though it is indistinguishable from the other root with a suffix, except by grammatical context:

{lo’} means “use” and can have a direct object. It can’t be used as an adjective.

{lo’laH} means “be useful” and can be used as an adjective. It can’t take a direct object.

This distinction quite likely is the result of a goof on Maltz’s part, but it’s one of those delightful little exceptions in the language… unless I’ve horribly misremembered something.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably