[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lurSa'

lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 05:33:12 PDT 2014

In other examples where Okrand really wants us to do something different from the described grammar in TKD, like the rearrangement of word order around verbs with {-jaj}, Okrand has gone out of his way to append the known grammar with an explanation. This one? We have one canon example with no explanation, and as ghunchu'wI' pointed out, it breaks yet another grammatical rule by putting a Type 7 suffix on the second verb of Sentence As Object.

The gut-wrenching aspect of this observation, however, is that I always hated the restriction that you can't put Type 7 on the second verb of SAO, and think he only made up that rule because of an earlier error in canon where he subsequently thought he should have used a Type 7, so he made up the rule that you can't use a Type 7 there so it won't be such a glaring mistake.

This kind of Ex Post Facto grammatical rule-making consistently comes back to bite one.

These two points of grammar should be on someone's list to talk with Okrand about at the next qep'a' or other opportunity.