[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lurSa'

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Fri Apr 18 00:27:29 PDT 2014

ghel Qov:
>> So ... when we put an adverb modifying the second sentence *before* 'e',
>> it's ...

jang SuStel:
> * ... because the rules in TKD say that adverbials (reH) come before
> objects ('e'), and we don't know why this sole example breaks that rule.

I agree with TKD, and therefore do agree with SuStel.

As we have read somewhere else in a parallel discussion, it seems that
most of us have better knowledge of Klingon Grammar than Okrand does. If
he makes a mistake once in a while, I would not always take that as
being a new rule, especially as it contradicts the existing rules. I
would only accept that, when he definitely explains a new rule, like he
did with toasts or dialects.

And besides of that, every langauge may have strange exceptions, or
"bad" examples. Even the best teacher or professor I had had, did big
mistakes in his lessons. Nobody is perfect.

tlhIngan Hol pab vIghoj reH 'e' vInID.

ja' SuStel:
 > I happen to believe that Marc fell into the common trap of thinking of
 > {'e'} as a conjunction rather than an object.

That seems very obvious to me. In my opinion.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh