[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lurSa'

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Apr 17 11:45:33 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
> patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH
>
> So ... when we put an adverb modifying the second sentence *before* 'e', it's ...
> * ... with knowledge of this canon, but because we think it sounds dumb there?
> * ... because we were doing it before this canon, and we're too stubborn to change on the basis of one awkward sentence?

Combine those two to get what I think is closest to the truth.

> * ... because we have better canon or word of Marc that it should precede
> the object, like every other pronoun?

I think "like every other pronoun" is the strongest argument we can make.

> * ... because by a heretofore unrevealed etymology, the word  'e' is
> actually related to the -'e' on an object like HaqwI''e' DaH yISam, allowing
> the adverb to move through the object?

This has always been my favorite justification/rationalization for the
difference between our instincts and the example.

Note also that there's a Type 7 verb suffix on the second verb. The
disagreement with TKD's instruction helps me to not feel bad about
deciding not to treat this example with as much respect as I could.

-- ghunchu'wI'