[Tlhingan-hol] Certification Test Woes

Lawrence M. Schoen klingonguy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:39:14 PDT 2014

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Brad Wilson <bmacliam at aol.com> wrote:
>
> Assigning questions randomly from a large test bank may ensure that over
many tests, there is a
> balance of high & low-value questions, but it doesn't prevent any one
test from being overly skewed,
> which isn't really fair to that particular student. Can the questions be
"weighted" so that in choosing
> them, the test still retains a difficulty consistent with the objective?

Following up on d'Armond's more rational argument let me just add that in
the long history of tests administered on this or any other world, I
believe there has always been at least one student heard to complain that
it wasn't "fair."

My response to this whine is simply that 1) the test is not mandatory, nor
does it meet any requirements for employment or advancement of which I am
aware, 2) the KLI does not impose a charge for taking the test (and please
don't start in with the cost of showing up to take it), and 3) anyone can
retake the exam, potentially even on the same day (though I generally
schedule them to be re-taken the next day at qep'a').

Speaking as someone who has administered, proctored, and graded many many
Level 1 Klingon Certification exams, I have always been very grateful with
the range of questions generated by the test bank.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Lawrence
--
Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen :: author :: publisher :: psychologist :: hypnotist
:: klingonist