[Tlhingan-hol] fiat justitia ruat coelum

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 07:25:24 PDT 2013

The Latin doesn't actually mean "Let justice be done, let the heavens
fall." Latin subjunctives don't have any fixed meaning. To translate it
literally, I'd put it "Justice be done, should the heavens fall." It is in
our power to do justice but not to control the heavens, so "let" makes more
sense with "justice be done." We use "let" with a sense of irony when we
say things like "Let it rain."

Can {-jaj} mean other than a wish that something happen? It could be used
ironically in a challenge I suppose, to translate something like "Molon
labe."
~'eD

My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/