[Tlhingan-hol] fiat justitia ruat coelum

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 11:29:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Fiat Knox <fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Perhaps you could change the clause order around so -jaj comes last,
> giving the whole sentence the weight of a proclamation.
>
> I also thought that a number of verbs could be used instead of chav achieved,
> accomplished. My favourite is baj earned:-
> {vabDot pumchugh Hovmey, ruv bajlu'jaj}
>

> Next to those, your original term chav achieve, accomplish does stand:-
> {vabDot pumchugh Hovmey, ruv chavlu'jaj}

The Latin word order is to emphasize the difficult condition, but making it
sound like a proclamation is very effective.

I like the last one best since it translates "fiat" accurately. The first
is more of a Klingon sentiment than a translation of the Latin. It's a
strong statement only if {baj} implies {chav} as well in this
context. Klingons would not admire someone who earns justice but doesn't
get it. We use "earn" in such a sense in English, but what about {baj}? Can
it include the idea of having done what was needed to deserve something
that is unjustly denied? {naDqa'ghach Hevbe'DI' worIv, baj'a'}

If so, you could use {baj} thus: {wa'vatlh DarSeq baj torgh 'ach torghvaD
Huch nobqangbe' pIn}. I'm thinking you'd say {bajta'} only if Torg hadn't
managed to get cheated out of his pay. {HuchDaj neHchugh torgh vaj pInDaj
qaDnIS. pIn jeychugh 'ej Huch Suqchugh vaj bajta' torgh}

~'eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/