[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naj

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Sep 1 00:15:56 PDT 2013

ngaj Daj pIlmoHlaw' nab QaghmeywIj

'e' vIpIHbe' jInajtaHvIS je

maj

SughoHtaHjaj 'ej maHvam QIjjaj matlh

Wow, I’m not getting any of that.

short ... interesting ... inspire ... when I dreamed too, I didn’t expect my errors to plan. Fine. May you continue to argue and may matlh explain this us.

Okay, I got the end, you meant maHvaD, not maHvam, so “to us.”

The need exists to express the gist of what someone said without quoting. Perhaps it's too long to quote, or the actual words are not known with certainty, but the intended meaning is clear. Klingons value exactness and brevity, and don't want to waste time or misquote someone. An indirect quote allows one to get across what was said without implying that it's an exact quote. A backdoor way might be something like {jatlh la'. qama'pu' neH la'} or for that matter {qama' DIjon 'e' ra' la'}.

Right, use a non verb of saying, don’t try to say what they said, just what the effect was.

HeghnIS Hoch romuluSngan ‘e’ maq.

qama’pu’ DISoplaH ‘e’ chaw’.

QIp chut ‘e’ Har.

paqDaj Soppu’ targh ‘e’ QIj puq.

The conversation Felix quoted seems to leave the issue open. I wouldn't bet too heavily against Maltz either way.

~'eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/