[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon in yesterday's TBBT

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Oct 25 12:23:24 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> According to the closed captions it was supposed to be {Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam} -- which was a strange choice for a love song... but perhaps not for a Klingon {bang bom}!

It's a GREAT phrase for a Klingon love song. In the DS9 episode
"Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places", it's said to be the
opening line of one of the most romantic events in Klingon history.

Lukara: Today was a good day to die. ("MoVas ah-kee rustak.")
Kahless: The day is not yet over, Lukara. ("Kosh tomah... ehpaq Lukara kaVeir.")
Lukara: Would you kill me too? ("Ish-tovee chuCH thling nuq?")
Kahless: I smell the burning of your blood. ("Meklo boH ka Mech.")
Lukara: The fire is your doing. ("Te-doQ roos ka... Mech-TOH.")

It's a shame the language is so unintelligible, but I suppose that's
what one expects from opera.

-- ghunchu'wI'