[Tlhingan-hol] Use of {net}

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Oct 15 10:48:59 PDT 2013

Ø  I wonder. What other uses have you found for net in a sentence?

> Would you, for instance, use qatlh DujlIj'e' nIHta' ra'wI' net SIv One wonders why the Commander stole your ship

Only if I was really speaking of a general wondering, not as an oblique way of saying that I wondered.

> or jagh Suvlu'DI' net taj jej lo'nIS;

That’s ungrammatical. If net is the object of lo’nIS than taj jej cannot also be there. Change it to jagh Suvlu’DI’ taj jej lo’nISlu’ ... etc. and it’s fine.

Ø  Tell me how you have used it, or why you have avoided it.

You want me to grab all sentences containing net out of a 75,000-word novel?  I use it when I would use –lu’ except that the object of a verb is a sentence. If I ever use <‘e’ Xlu’> it’s an accident, although there are some such “accidents” of canon and some argue that there is a distinction.

-          Qov