[Tlhingan-hol] "Happy Thanksgiving"?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Nov 27 11:29:20 PST 2013

Canon seems to use burn to mean both "be burning" and "cause to be burning".

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
"Only a fool fights in a burning house." (TKW)

to'waQ meQ vutwI'.
"The cook burns the tendon." (KGT)

However, the latter seems to be the rare exception. Perhaps even an error?

More examples from paq'batlh:

== paq'yav, Canto 4, Stanza 9: ==
Dogh ghaH 'e' Sov moratlh
'etlh DoQDI'
meQchu'pu' che'rupbogh**

Morath knows he has been a fool,
His promised kingdom will be ash
By the time he claims the sword.

[**I'll have to check if I've transcribed this correctly. If I have, the last sentence would appear to be one of the rare examples of a headless relative clause.]

== paq'yav, Canto 12, Stanzas 2 & 4 ==

jIbDaj lumeQmoH
jIbDajlumeQmoH
qul bIQtIq qulHommey

[...]

jIbDaj lumeQmoH
'ej bejtaHvIS
baS moj jIb

I don't have the English text handy, but basically, the sparks from the river of fire burn Kahless hair, and he watches it turn to metal.

== paq'raD, Canto 7, Stanza 5 ==

qeylIS Qaw' 'e' nIDmeH
yerDaj weH molor
'ej juH qachDaj meQmoH

Again, don't have the English text here, but:
In order to destroy Kahless, Molor had raided his lands and burnt his home.

== paq'raD, Canto 13, Stanza 10 ==

lujang meQboghnom 'oH
yeqchuqchu'taHghach
Daw' je joqwI'

They reply it is the meQboghnom*
The banner of unity
and revolution

I'm not sure who wrote the footnotes (I believe it was Floris Schönfeld), but it reads as follows:

* Kahless's meQboghnom, a name comprised from the roots "burn" (meQ), "to be born" (bogh) and "fast" (nom) expresses his revolutionary intentions.