[Tlhingan-hol] the birth of a new word: qorgh

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 07:58:23 PST 2013

You're right of course, but do any names rendered in canon
violate Klingon's phonological rules?
For instance, I've never seen "Spock" in Klingon. Would it be {?Spoq} or
would a vowel be needed: {?'eSpoq}, {?Supoq} or some such? I notice
{DoyIchlan} instead of {*Doychlan} or {*DoychlanD}, but also {Denmargh}
rather than {*Denmarq}. {Denmargh} strongly supports that {qIrq} is a
one-time violation of Klingon phonology.

Anyway, point taken, and if /rq/ isn't allowed, the number of possible
syllables is 5397. How many monosyllabic words are there?

I notice in the exchange that MO consults his list of unused monosyllables
mainly because he has only 30 seconds. Comparing new vocabulary to TDK,
there seems to be a greater frequency of words that can't be reduced to
monosyllables.

~eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/