[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 49

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Nov 12 01:45:15 PST 2013

It is my custom when I write stories, to transfer the degree of certainty in
V6s to the POV character in the scene.  I can't remember if anyone has
complained about it before.  I think it's a valid objection but I also think
it's a valid technique, less 'out there' than concrete poetry. I think it's
akin to describing a scene in the voice and experiences of a character, so
that when one POV character passes the field s/he sees "a horse" while
another sees "a three year old anglo-arab, chestnut with a white stocking on
the off hindleg."

By your logic I could almost never use -Hey in a narrative, because when the
characters see what to them is a mangHey, I the author know it is a mangna'.
How would you feel in an English language story if the author wrote, "Torg
sees a bucket." and then later in the story it turns out to be a cat? I'm
telling you "Torg seems to hear a motor whining."  I know damn well whether
he hears a motor whining or not [he does] but I'm not going to give it away
yet.  It doesn't work for you that I as the author am saying I think he can
hear a motor.

It's noted, however that the technique didn't work for you.

As for vIng, I use it in both English senses and if forced to surrender one
I would surrender the "complains" meaning, not the "makes a high pitched
noise" meaning, because we have such a paucity of onomatopoeia.

But all together you would be content with

'aplo'Daq chuSlaw' nguSDI' 'e' Qoy torgh.

Which I like better anyway. I probably started with nguSDI' Qoylaw' torgh
and then added the SAO.

I really appreciate you reading and commenting, and in no way want to shoot
you down. Please anyone else comment on whether my V6 use seems appropriate
to you.