[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 23

ghunchu'wI' qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Nov 5 17:41:49 PST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 7:21 PM, "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2013 02:02, "Robyn Stewart" <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
> > bIng bej/Dung bej = be face down/face up
>
> I didn't understand the intended meaning, because I thought the Romulans were unconscious, and {bej} implied otherwise.

For what it's worth, I recognized the idiom immediately.

I don't know if its because I would have translated it the same way, or because I've seen it before and had to have it explained. Perhaps I was part of a discussion where some of us tried to translate the idea and that was one of the suggestions? I don't recall. Maybe Qov and I have just had enough face-to-face conversations in Klingon that I understand her intent and often anticipate her words. All I know is that the image was perfectly clear in my mind without requiring any overt analysis (or even any translation, as it happens).

-- ghunchu'wI'