[Tlhingan-hol] {rap} in "Frasier's Klingon"

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sun May 5 15:04:14 PDT 2013

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Ruben Molina <rmolina at gmail.com> wrote:

> In "Interview with Marc Okrand" (HolQeD 7:4) [1] it says "both things
> have to be subject" when using {rap} ("be the same").  So, I should
> say {rap A B je}
> for "A and B are the same".
>
> But in "Frasier's Klingon" (HolQeD 11:4) [2] it seems to be working in a
> different way.

The word {rap} as used in the _Star Mitzvah_ speech isn't actually the verb
in the sentence. It follows a noun and acts in an adjectival sense: {bel
rap} "same pleasure".

> The speech ends like this {… rap Sov Danobpu'bogh.} and I have been
> unable to parse it correctly.  It looks to me like "the knowledge
> which you gave be the same …", but, the same with what?.
>
> I fact, I can't translate {lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap Sov
> Danobpu'bogh}
>
> The article says some words are missing.

The full phrase is {...bel rap, Sov *rap, ngoQ rap je* Danobpu'bogh} "[may
the] same pleasure, wisdom, and purpose you have given [to my journey fill
your journey]."

I can also translate {lenglIj lutebjaj} as "May your travel be fill".

That's close, though the {lu-} prefix would make it "may your travel be
filled *by them*." More succinctly, "may they fill your travel."

-- ghunchu'wI'