[Tlhingan-hol] Use of -'e'

nIqolay q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri May 3 17:17:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM, David Trimboli <david at trimboli.name> wrote:
> "This sentence is about Terrans: you are BRAVE." I find this less
> acceptable, but not completely unacceptable. {bIyoHqu'} doesn't imply a
> second party the way the comparative does—you need a second party to compare
> with. If you can make the mental leap to {SoH yoH law' tera'ngan motlh yoH
> puS}, it could work, but I'd rather see it recast.

Another possible recasting might be tera'ngan SoH 'ach bIyoHqu', with
'ach (and usual Klingon stereotypes about Terrans) providing the sense
of contrast instead of a law'/puS construction. I was mostly curious
about which sorts of phrases with -'e', if any, would be feasible in
these cases

> You can further emphasize the appropriateness of the topic by putting it at
> the beginning of the translation with a full-stop after it (and don't
> interpret it as exasperation):
>
> "My weapons. That bat'leth is the oldest." Good
> "Terrans. You are BRAVE." Bad
> "Your friends. Who is willing to challenge me?" Good

That's a useful way to think about it, thanks.